My Room

"Everyone carries a room about inside them. This fact can even be proved by means of the sense of hearing. If someone walks fast and one pricks up one's ears and listens, say at night, when everything round about is quiet, one hears, for instance, the rattling of a mirror not quite firmly fastened to the wall." -Franz Kafka

Friday, August 19, 2005

Memory

I learned in my Intro to Psychology class in college that any memories before the age of five are suspect and probably constructed from what someone else told you about the events you "remember." While I enjoyed most of the class very much, I thought this was a load of crap. I have many memories before the age of five, and I remember details that no one taold me.

When I was two years old, my family (meaning my parents and I) lived in a converted boarding house. We lived upstairs for a while, then downstairs. Sometimes we shared the house with family friends, other times with a psychotic woman who sang "There is a Balm in Gilead" while her children screamed. Apparently, when we lived downstairs, some women lived in the room above my room, and they used to wake me up having loud, screaming sex with different guys every night. I don't remember that (although I do remember their coming over and introducing themselves when they moved in; they seemed nice).

What I do remember about that house is playing outside. When I was five or six, we moved to a less nice neighborhood, and I played outside less frequently. But I played outside all day at this house. The neighbors next door seem to have changed about as often as those up- or downstairs. The first neighbors I remember are Adam and Bobbi-Jo. We used to ride bikes in the driveway between our houses. They had a big-wheel. I had Bucky the Wonder Horse. He had a red saddle that you could lift and he had a storage compartment inside. In case, I guess, I wanted to load him up with coffee and baked beans and ride off into the sunset.

Sometimes we would play in the backyard. Later, a family with older kids would move in and monopolize it, but at this point, we could go back there. One feature of this backyard was a cellar door leading to the house's basement (on a side note, J.R.R. Tolkein said that "cellar door" was the most beautiful word in the English language). The door couldn't have stood more than two feet at its highest point, but to my two-year-old mind, it was an Everest that must be scaled (sadly, I had no rain barrel to slide down).

I remember one day playing in the backyard with Adam and Bobbi-Jo. My mom was there somewhere, gardening or something, and I began to climb the doors. But on this particular day, something was different: one of the cellar doors was open. As I was climbing the closed door, I began to teeter. My top-heavy frame (which is larger now, but still top-heavy) fell through the open door and rolled down a flight of cement steps before coming to a stop on the cold basement floor. the next thing I remember is sitting in the kitchen, screaming while my mom slapped Band-Aids on my owies. This I remember vividly. The kitchen was yellow, and the sun was streaming through the big window. The light was so bright and the room so yellow that it felt like sitting in the sun. Then, someone knocked on the door. It was Adam. he had retrieved the rattle that I dropped and brought it to me, knowing it would make me feel better. It wasn't a normal rattle, nothing Tweedle-Dee and Dum would have fought over. It was like one of those bead mazes you find in dentist waiting rooms or church nurseries, only straight, and it had different brightly colored blocks on it. Because no one climbs a mountain without a staff.

Thinking back on the event now, I realize that my mom was around the age I am now. I can't imagine how I would respond to my child falling into a cement basement. But she apparently did OK, because, while I remember the event clearly, I'm not scarred by it.

Take that, Psychology.

4 Comments:

  • At 9:30 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Right on! Don't believe EVERYTHING anyone tells you...especially in the secular ungodly universities! I am so glad to see someone who can still think for themselves after all that phycobabble...weeding out the little tidbits of truth is not easy, I know.
    Elizabeth

     
  • At 4:07 pm, Blogger Chris said…

    I disagree with Tolkien. I think the phrase "boots and mittens" is by far the most beautiful phrase in the English Language. Allow it to roll off your tongue. "Chris, go put on your boots and mittens". Lingual gold!
    Anyway, I remember spitting up babyfood on the table. That is a memory from before I was 5...or was that yesterday?

     
  • At 7:09 pm, Blogger Judy said…

    I remember the first time I saw it snow. I was looking out the living room window onto the driveway. The flakes of snow where huge. I watched them fall while resting my chin on the wondow sill. I thought it was SO beautiful. My mom noticed it, and said something about hating snow. I could not understand that, and desided that she might hate it, but I was going to love it.

    Of course, now I agree with her.

    I would have been about 1 1/2 at the time.

    My best memory EVER is of my sisters coming home from school on Friday's with a brown paper bag of penny candy for me from the candy store by her school. I didn't go to school yet. I can still picture them turning onto our street. My favorite things are still candy, Friday afternoon's, little brown paper bags, and my sisters.

    I also remember the day JFK was shot. I was five.

     
  • At 7:53 pm, Blogger Judy said…

    Chris, one of your first phrases was 'booton' which eventually your mother figured out meant that you wanted to go somewhere.

    Boot on.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home