My Room

"Everyone carries a room about inside them. This fact can even be proved by means of the sense of hearing. If someone walks fast and one pricks up one's ears and listens, say at night, when everything round about is quiet, one hears, for instance, the rattling of a mirror not quite firmly fastened to the wall." -Franz Kafka

Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Is health really worth it?

Thanks to everybody who shared their thoughts on the last post. I hope the conversation continues.

In the meantime, I am wrestling with my own health issues. Let me recap. I broke my leg in Michigan. I had surgery in Michigan. I went home to Illinois. I returned to Michigan to have a cast put on. I returned to Illinois with a reference for a doctor in Illinois. OK.

I have been staying off my leg, and the swelling has gone down, which means my cast became loose. I called my doctor in Michigan, who told me I'd need it replaced. So I called the doctor in Illinois to get an appointment. A week later, the billing manager calls me to say that they don't take my insurane. The doctor in Michigan doesn't know any other doctors in the area.

So I've spent the last week on the phone with doctors and insurance companies, which is just a butt-load of fun. In the meantime, I've spent more time up and moving around, which is good, but my cast is no longer loose. In fact, it's tight in some places. And I am developing a bad case of athlete's foot. Me. Athlete's foot. What the hell? And I got a bug bite on my hip. All the same leg. I'd say it's my lightning rod for painful complications, except that I injured my other leg at camp a year ago. This is why I stay inside reading most of the time!

Sigh.

To sum up, talking to doctors and insurance companies is more painful than breaking a leg.

1 Comments:

  • At 1:40 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    So sorry...it is so miserable to be where you are right now!! Hopefully this too shall soon pass. But DO BE CAREFUL with the injured leg in future...do not expect that it will be 100% what it was before. I am just happy to be walking on my injured knee! Of course, I am old enough to be your mom...but still, I have learned that injuries as an adult may change a bit what you can do in future.

    I so agree about insurance companies...they are the biggest pain of all! In fact, my theory is that not many, if any, insurance people OR lawyers will be in Heaven...you know how God loves liars, right? Just read the verses about liars and it will give you questions too! ARGH! We were rear ended in Feb...stll....STILL, our chiropractor has not been paid. Only my daughter had 5 treatments for under $500...we COULD have gone to the hospital on the spot, if we had gone on how we FELT at that moment. I wanted to go to the doc immediately but they felt they were too busy that day...so by the next week I was feeling ok...so I never bothered to go in. I do not recommend this for a young person, however...but at this age, I think it will not matter. I just felt if it was not important to see us when we were in so much pain...well, when I am not in pain... I am not going in! So now they can see they lost at least $500 on me!! HEEHEE...actually my husband is pretty good at getting my back to go back into its usual position...cheaper too! ARGH...doctors and insurance companies are not my favorite subject! (By the way, when dealing with unreasonable insurance companies,etc....I have found that calling often and keeping them on the phone as LONG AS POSSIBLE, sometimes gets results...time is money, right? And right now, you have time!)

    Have a good day...by the way, I have had some troubles with fungal troubles too...get off sugars, and not much fruit or rice or potatoes or pasta for a time. ALso, taking acidophilus pills helps right the system better. I have also gotten a $4 or so bottle of liquid vitamin E oil from Walmart and slathered that onto the affected area and found it to be VERY HELPFUL for healing too...as well as the other meds. If you could soak your foot, a friend tells me that soaking in pau de arco (a South American plant)...from health food store...also helps with funal problems. I think it is also available in pill form.

    Hope things begin to look up for you! Elizabeth

     

Post a Comment

<< Home