My Room

"Everyone carries a room about inside them. This fact can even be proved by means of the sense of hearing. If someone walks fast and one pricks up one's ears and listens, say at night, when everything round about is quiet, one hears, for instance, the rattling of a mirror not quite firmly fastened to the wall." -Franz Kafka

Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Just shoot me

When I broke my leg and had surgery on July 15, my doctor and nurses told me that my recovery would take six to eight months, so this is the information that I passed on to family and friends. The unanimous response was, "Oh, you were just high on morphine. They said six to eight weeks." Could be, I thought. Great, six to eight weeks.

Friday I finally got to see a doctor in Illinois. This was six weeks after my surgery, so I'm thinking, Today I'll find out if I get the cast off today or in two weeks. Well guess what? Turns out I did hear correctly, and for the first time in my life, I wish I weren't right.

The projected time that I'll be up and walking again is 20 weeks. No, I didn't mistype a zero, and no, I don't mean 20 days. Twenty weeks. In the meantime, I'm physically able to sit. Even the activity I was doing, my doctor says is too much.

So my leg is back in a fiberglass cast, and in four more weeks, I may get one of those robo-leg casts that I'll be able to remove so I can move my ankle. Not walk yet, but move my ankle. Not even baby steps. This is the pre-"What About Bob" therapy. Move your ankle around the desk. Move your ankle get on an elevator. I aspire to baby steps.

The rest of my weekend was great, and I'll tell you all about it later.

3 Comments:

  • At 11:47 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    So sorry...hope you can find some good ways to spend the time down. Sometimes God finds ways to help us rest awhile...take advantage of it before life returns to normal! And do baby that leg once you are allowed to use it again!!

    Are you taking magnesium as well as calcium? Sometimes docs never think of the practical side of life...well, not much money to be made doing such things ya know. Get on internet and do the research...you may find some ways to help your body heal a bit faster.
    Elizabeth

     
  • At 4:04 pm, Blogger Judy said…

    Buddy, this is your mother.

    WRITE A BOOK.

    Write what you know.

    Write in that style like the story about the soldier calling home.

    Write articles and submit them, as many a day as you can pump out.

    Write about your accident.

    Write about what it is like to not have insurance (yet), and research some ideas for solving that problem for this country.

    Write about your favorite teacher.

    Plan a 'program' you would have loved to have been involved in as a child. Pin down all the details. Someday, you might have the opportunity to actually do this. BUT, this may be the only time in your life you will have the luxury to stop and think and write, and once that opportunity is over, all those great thoughts will vanish.

     
  • At 3:57 am, Blogger Steve said…

    Buddy,
    I was thinking about you while we were visiting friends in Washington State last month. They took us to the community pool and it had two long, twisting water slides. My kids had never been on one before, so, with your experience in mind, I told them don't ever try to stop yourself by putting your leg out of the water and onto a dry spot. I left out your details of what can happen though, or they would never have gone down the slide.
    So you see, taking up Judy's line, what you write can have a very positive impact.
    By the way I see that you have linked to my blog. Thanks!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home