My Room

"Everyone carries a room about inside them. This fact can even be proved by means of the sense of hearing. If someone walks fast and one pricks up one's ears and listens, say at night, when everything round about is quiet, one hears, for instance, the rattling of a mirror not quite firmly fastened to the wall." -Franz Kafka

Saturday, September 24, 2005

My New Leg

Yesterday marked ten weeks since the accident. The bones are still not fusing and have lost some density below the fractures, but the doctor seemed to think that was normal. The good news is that I now have a cam walker boot which makes me feel like C-3PO. I'm not sure why it's called a cam boot, but I don't care. I can take it off! I came home and showered it for about half an hour. The amazing feeling of being able to scratch it was almost worth the last ten weeks.

Now I'm going to describe my leg. It's gross, so proceed at your own risk.

My leg is flaking, but because it's been sealed in for freshness, it's not dry and flaky; it's wet and flaky. When I first began scratching, the skin caked under my fingernails, and I have what looks like a diaper rash on my calf. The bottom of my foot was covered in yellow callouses, which came off like paste onto my towel. Now I need to vacuum the floor anytime I have the cast off and am scratching.

Hooray for scratching!

3 Comments:

  • At 3:40 pm, Blogger Chris said…

    I threw up a little.
    But I am glad to hear everything is going well.

     
  • At 7:59 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sure sorry about the lack of healing....do you take any vitamins or minerals?? Do what you can to help it heal!!

    Scratching is a very wonderful gift isn't it? Sure notice when we cannot anyway!
    Elizabeth

     
  • At 6:28 pm, Blogger Evan said…

    the legs not so new anymore is it? but would we know that? nope, you don't ever post

     

Post a Comment

<< Home