My Room

"Everyone carries a room about inside them. This fact can even be proved by means of the sense of hearing. If someone walks fast and one pricks up one's ears and listens, say at night, when everything round about is quiet, one hears, for instance, the rattling of a mirror not quite firmly fastened to the wall." -Franz Kafka

Saturday, March 18, 2006

I'm still alive (barely)

Sorry I've been incommunicado for a while. I've had a cold since last Thursday, and while I am able to walk, therapy has been incredibly painful this past week. That tends to stem the flow of creative juices.

Christine had a cold last week, and I could tell I was fighting it off. Last Thursday it finally got me. While Christine tends to get colds in her head and sinuses, I tend to get them in my chest/lungs. I've been coughing for ten days straight now. Tea and Vaporub help some, and I'm popping DayQuil pills like candy. They're pretty effective, but I can tell the exact moment when it's been four hours since I took them.

My achilles tendon on my left leg is inflamed and very painful. My therapist said it could be because I don't have my full range of motion back yet, so the tendon snaps back before it extends all the way, which irritates it. At therapy on Thursday, they hooked me up to four pads that gave a small electrical current that was meant to loosen up the tissue. When it wasn't any better on Friday, they took a different pad, put cortizone on it, and stuck it to my tendon. Then they put another pad on top of my foot at the ankle line. Finally, they took what looked like (and pretty much was) a car battery charger and hooked that up to the pads. This was much, much more than the slight tingling sensation of the previous day. Four fifteen minutes, tiny jumper cables sent electricity into my foot, which drove the cortizone into the deep tissue. Today I've been icing it, and I'm wearing Ted Hose (basically panty-hose on one leg). I guess it's helping.

I'm going to hobble up the stairs for more tea. Later.

7 Comments:

  • At 6:18 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    All my empathy- cortisone treatments bite. I tend to refuse them anymore. The thing is the research isn't conclusive as to whether they work or don't work- so my Mom argues with me that I can only suggest i don't like them and not refuse something that could possibly work. The stimulant electrodes are fun- there are like 3 or 4 different kinds. I have been totally addicted to some of them at points. Last winter we used to do 2 different kinds and I was hooked up for about an hour at a shot- good news = I would have huge success getting my range of motion back! I think the trick with the stimulation electrodes is finding the sweet spots. (I know people who think they are crap) My last PTs let me do a lot of experimenting and we dialogued about everything. If you want to talk about it at all- I do understand and you're welcome to call.

     
  • At 6:18 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    -Megan (I think you might have guessed)

     
  • At 9:37 pm, Blogger Judy said…

    Ouch. Sounds awful.

     
  • At 9:38 pm, Blogger Judy said…

    Ouch. Sounds awful.

     
  • At 11:11 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Golly, I hope that you keep improving. At least you have tea for comfort!

     
  • At 11:42 am, Blogger Unknown said…

    Therapy again today. the cortizone treatment didn't take, and I am still in pain. I'm icing the leg, taking it easy, and applied essential oils such as peppermint, myrrh, and helichrysm, which are supposed to help with inflammation.

    Mom,

    I'd say, "You can say that again," but it seems you beat me to it.

     
  • At 4:56 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i am having a tendon pain day- so empathy is great...hoping and praying you're well -Megan

     

Post a Comment

<< Home