My Room

"Everyone carries a room about inside them. This fact can even be proved by means of the sense of hearing. If someone walks fast and one pricks up one's ears and listens, say at night, when everything round about is quiet, one hears, for instance, the rattling of a mirror not quite firmly fastened to the wall." -Franz Kafka

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Physical Therapy

I've now been to physical therapy three times. Everyone I've worked with is pleased with my range of motion and strength. I can bring my foot into a ninety-degree angle with my leg, which is a good place to start. It needs to be at 110 degrees to walk. Therapy consists of riding an exercise bike and stretching. I'm not sure why I have to go somewhere to do that. Why can't they just tell me to ride an exercise bike and then stretch? But I guess some people won't do it unless they're made to.

So therapy is going well. My rides, however, are another story. Because the rest of the family have lives, I've arranged for transportation through my worker's comp provider, who hired a cab service to transport me back and forth. Forth is going great. Back is another story.

Yesterday the driver picked me up at home at 10:30. Therapy went from 11-11:30. No one showed up to pick me up at 11:30. Or at noon. Or at 12:30. At noon the receptionist at the physical therapists' office took pity on me and drove me home. I called my worker's comp case nurse, who made an angry phone call to the cab company. She called me back and told me to tell the driver when I needed to be picked up and gave me a number to call if no one showed.

This morning the cab was waiting at 10:30 again. When the driver dropped me off, I told him I'd need to be picked up at noon. He added me to the schedule and gave me a number to call in case of a problem (my nurse must have made an impression). At noon, no ride. So I call the number, and they tell me a driver is on his way. At 12:15 I call again. The driver is lost. I can't really be upset, because as everyone knows, I am the most directionally impaired person on earth (although I can read a map and a compass, so I'm a little bit better than my wife. At directions, that is). At 12:30 I'm getting a little annoyed, so I call again. He's on the right street, but he's looking for the address. At 12:45 he finally arrives.

So riding in cabs is a bit of an adventure, and I'm amazed at the different shades of body odor that the human body can produce.

For now, therapy sessions are 1/2-1 hour. I will eventually be working up to 3-4 hour sessions.

3 Comments:

  • At 6:48 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wait until you get to 3 or 4 hours or until you get to a point where stretching hurts or until you have a job or other time constraints and are asked to continue with your therapy excercises and practices..... you will understand very quickly why it is necessary to go have someone supervise. I don't think most people would consider me irresponsible, but I am terrible with physical therapy things.
    Glad you're started. Be nice to your therapists... very very nice. I still call mine on the phone and it gets to a point where they know you better than doctors do. Just a word from experience.
    Take care,

    Megan

     
  • At 11:46 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Whew! Sounds like life is just exciting in your neck of the woods. Many congrats at getting your leg back and heading towards ambulation.

     
  • At 3:04 pm, Blogger Judy said…

    Is his last name the symbol for boron?

    Really. I would drive you. It's what I do best. I would complain the entire time, but I would do it.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home