My Room

"Everyone carries a room about inside them. This fact can even be proved by means of the sense of hearing. If someone walks fast and one pricks up one's ears and listens, say at night, when everything round about is quiet, one hears, for instance, the rattling of a mirror not quite firmly fastened to the wall." -Franz Kafka

Saturday, April 25, 2009

I'm back. Let's see how long it lasts.

My New Year's resolution this year was to write more. The year is nearly a quarter over, and so far, I am not meeting that goal. I've had several people ask me if I'm writing, and I am writing this to let them know that no, I am not.

I was very prolific in college, but since then, I haven't written much more than a Facebook status or a response to a meme. The reasons for this are, 1. in college I got paid to write. Not much, but the satisfaction of writing things I knew my readers wouldn't read otherwise made up for that somewhat, and 2. in college I had deadlines.

When I was assigned a paper in college, I immediately began thinking about what I would write. I thought about it constantly, yes, even when it looked like I was just watching TV and eating grilled cheese sandwiches and French fries out of a to-go box (that was a great semester). Then the night before the paper was due, I would sit down and write it. It never turned out the way I expected it to, but it was usually good.

Now, no one pays me, and I don't have deadlines. Several people have offered to set deadlines for me, but the problem is that if I failed to meet their deadlines, nothing would happen. I wouldn't forfeit payment or waste my tuition. I'd just say, "I didn't meet the deadline," and nothing else in my life would change.

I do, however, see a light on the horizon. I'm not getting paid to write this, and it's not due at any time. But I wrote it. And I like it. I'm gonna chase this feeling.

1 Comments:

  • At 8:22 pm, Blogger Chris said…

    I like when you write. I like how you write. I like what you write. I like who you write, but that doesn't make sense. The question is, why do you write? Would I like that? Probably.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home