My Room

"Everyone carries a room about inside them. This fact can even be proved by means of the sense of hearing. If someone walks fast and one pricks up one's ears and listens, say at night, when everything round about is quiet, one hears, for instance, the rattling of a mirror not quite firmly fastened to the wall." -Franz Kafka

Thursday, May 10, 2007

I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaack!

I have been too long away from the blogosphere, relegating my brief posts, friend comments, and inane video to exclusive online clubs such as MySpace and Facebook, and even those contributions have been few and far between. You may remember when not a day went by that I didn't contribute something to these cyber pages. That was when I was in England, studying what I loved and enjoying (most of) the culture surrounding me. Somehow, living in a basement and working at a bank has made me less prolific in my blogging.

My life is about to change, however, and during times of transition, I reach out to the blogging community... or my parents, their blog friends, and a few Europeans who still occassionally check to see if maybe I'm not as boring anymore. After two years in Illinois, Christine and I will be returning to the G.R. (don't call it that), Grand Rapids, MI, my hometown and the city where Christine and I met.

We began considering a return about a month ago. Christine was very stressed out with graduate school, and I suggested she take a year off to recharge. In that same conversation, Christine mentioned that the university we had attended in Grand Rapids was hiring a writer/editor. I pursued the job, Christine deferred her admission into Northern Illinois University's doctoral program, and we made plans to move to Grand Rapids for a year.

While I was waiting to hear back about the job, Christine was offered a funded position at Western Michigan University. After days of deliberation, she accepted the position. After weeks of being jerked around, I learned that the job I was pursuing was offered to someone else. You really have to question the value of your degree when you can't get a job doing what you're trained to do at the university that trained you to do it.

We plan to move back to Grand Rapids in June, which means looking for a place to live and getting a new job in the next couple of weeks. We could use a lot of prayer, and if you have any leads on proofreading or copy-editing positions, please let me know. I don't want to work at a bank anymore.

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • At 11:59 am, Blogger Chris said…

    That was my initial reaction when I heard that you didn't get the job at Cornerstone. Apparently they don't place enough confidence in their teaching if they won't hire one of their graduates who they have taught to do these things...and, on top of that, a graduate who received the highest honor in that particular field of study.
    You can be my writer/editor any day. Actually, I have just had a position open up. I need someone to write and edit my thesis.
    Hurry to the New GRusalem, so that we can go to Qdoba, and buy burritos and then eat them.

     
  • At 7:32 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Speaking of Qdoba... they do give you a couple meals per shift and you get a couple of Qdoba tshirts. I've had worse jobs than my month or so at Qdoba. jk... who DID Cornerstone hire for the position?

    Megan

     

Post a Comment

<< Home