My Room

"Everyone carries a room about inside them. This fact can even be proved by means of the sense of hearing. If someone walks fast and one pricks up one's ears and listens, say at night, when everything round about is quiet, one hears, for instance, the rattling of a mirror not quite firmly fastened to the wall." -Franz Kafka

Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Napster

Remember Napster? Man, that was the greatest. My freshman year, if I wanted to listen to a song, all I had to do was type the title, and in seconds I had not only the song, but as many covers and versions as I could ever want. That's how I discovered Me First and the Gimme Gimmes, a punk band that only does covers. I had so much music on my computer that year. Sure, we tied up the school's ridiculously low bandwidth, but we rocked so hard.

Sadly, it was not to last. I swear rock died the day rock stars started suing kids for listening to their music. I don't have anything left from my illegal dowloads, except for a wider appreciation of music. I can see why the music industry put an end to it. I don't think Metallica wants people to be exposed to too much real music. They might realize that Metallica sucks.

Anyway, I just signed up for a Rhapsody account, which is pretty cool. Sure, I only get 25 free listens, but that's 25 songs I wouldn't hear otherwise, and their free radio stations are pretty good. I like the 80s Hits the best.

It's no Napster, but it's close enough to make me reminisce. When I talk to my kids about the good ol' days, Napster will always come up.

I hate Metallica.

2 Comments:

  • At 4:17 pm, Blogger Chris said…

    Rock died when MTV was born.
    And Metallica does indeed suck.

     
  • At 6:56 pm, Blogger Unknown said…

    Wait a minute... MTV started in 1980. I was born in 1980.

    I am the reincarnation of Rock!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home