My Room

"Everyone carries a room about inside them. This fact can even be proved by means of the sense of hearing. If someone walks fast and one pricks up one's ears and listens, say at night, when everything round about is quiet, one hears, for instance, the rattling of a mirror not quite firmly fastened to the wall." -Franz Kafka

Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Our last week and my question

Greetings, I know I (Christine) haven't posted all semester, except for a few comments here and there, but Buddy has done such an interesting commentary on our stay here, I enjoyed listening instead. This week is our last full week in Oxford, which I find so bizarre. Time seemed irrelevant when we arrived, and now it's all I can think about. We are both looking forward to many faces and places at home, but I think once we get home and get our people and comfort fixes, we'll always have an itch for Oxford and going abroad. My favorites have been the cathedrals, evensong at Christ Church, our two favorite places to eat (Raddy and Meltz), and how much history and literature comes alive for me whilst I am here. Anyway, keep us in your prayers as we will be traveling and have a lot of work to come home to, like graduating and deciding our future. Here is my fun question, and I only have one so I expect the majority of our readers (i.e. at least our friends and family) to respond otherwise you become creepy onlookers! I know you're reading...answer my question!
Ahem...
If you could have any mentor from history (not including Jesus or the apostles), who would you choose?

14 Comments:

  • At 9:04 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hey christine!! it's good to see a post from you too. i can't wait till you two get home. i love reading about all that you're doing, but i much prefer to hear about it in person. :)

    excellent question by the way. i put a lot of thought into it (Well at least the 7 minutes since i read the post) and finally came up with an answer.

    i was trying to think of some really obscure deep thinking philosopher from history so i could sound smart. but i stopped to think about what i always wanted to be, a professional baseball player. so i decided on oft disputed, greatest manager of all time Sparky Anderson. (casey who?)

     
  • At 9:17 am, Blogger Unknown said…

    I, like Evan, racked my brain to come up with some pretentious answer that would make me seem smart, but I think my answer would be (overly) prolific horror writer Stephen King. This summer I plan to follow the writing and reading schedule he lays out in On Writing.

     
  • At 10:36 am, Blogger Ryan said…

    Morgan Freeman. I'm not after a huge intellectual pusher, I do that enough to myself. I want a mentor who grounds me and puts things in perspective, and I believe Morgan Freeman does that better than anybody.

     
  • At 11:05 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Amy Carmichael.

    "God always answers us in the deeps, never in the shallows of our soul."

    "Let us not be surprised when we have to face difficulties. When the wind blows hard on a tree, the roots stretch and grow the stronger, Let it be so with us. Let us not be weaklings, yielding to every wind that blows, but strong in spirit to resist."

     
  • At 12:01 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Rachel Kleinheksel says:

    Machiavelli

     
  • At 12:10 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The Inklings.
    I got permission to post the whole group as one entity.
    Lions and llamas are waiting,
    -Calvin Kleyn

     
  • At 5:20 pm, Blogger Melodee said…

    Madeleine L'Engle

     
  • At 1:14 pm, Blogger Judy said…

    Erma Bombeck.

    She could find beauty, value and humor in anything.

     
  • At 5:44 pm, Blogger Denver Parler said…

    Am I beating a dead horse if I say John Steinbeck?

     
  • At 9:42 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    denver, yes it would, but it's better than... well i'll just say yes. christine, you know i love jethro tull but i think a more pressing question would be to ask ian anderson "why play the flute in a man thong??"

     
  • At 8:39 am, Blogger Denver Parler said…

    I think Ian Anderson would answer your question with another question:

    "Why NOT play the flute in a man thong?"

    Chew on that for awhile.

     
  • At 10:36 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Salut!
    Miranda says: Obi-Wan Kenobi... Or Francis of Assisi

    Sunny says: If from any part of history, then I would say myself in the future. Old Me would be very helpful in giving life advice to the Now Me...
    Or Orson Scott Card

     
  • At 8:19 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Chew on what Denver? his man thong? you're gross!

     
  • At 10:11 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Chris this your Aunt Annie... I agree with you...there are way to many to choose from...from history to psychology to medicine to music to thinkers outside the norm. I really appreciate the blog...Buddy you did GOOD. Wish I could be there to celebrate your homcoming...but Calif. is just to far away...and I would need a very very very long extension cord to bring my dialsys machine (haha). I'm so proud of you both...education is the gift you give yourself and in turn give the world. Hugs and kisses

     

Post a Comment

<< Home