My Room

"Everyone carries a room about inside them. This fact can even be proved by means of the sense of hearing. If someone walks fast and one pricks up one's ears and listens, say at night, when everything round about is quiet, one hears, for instance, the rattling of a mirror not quite firmly fastened to the wall." -Franz Kafka

Monday, February 21, 2005

England: Don't Believe the PR

I used to have a rather idyllic impression of England: high teas with crumpets and scones, punting along the Thames, witty conversation over cigars and Brandy. It turns out that that's all bullocks. The "proper," "polite" British are as loud, obnoxious, and disgusting as any American I've ever known, if not more so.

Now, I realize it may be unfair to judge England based on Oxford, which is a college town (I certainly wouldn't want to be judged based on my school), so take what I say with a grain of salt (if you don't have any, there's plenty over here), and remember all the lovely things I've said so far.

People make out everywhere here. In cafes, in pubs. It's worse than the student union at my school back home. People even stop in the middle of the sidewalks just to snog.

And speaking of sidewalks, they are too narrow and no one has the common decency to get out of the bloody way. So Christine and I will be walking down the sidewalk in single file to avoid taking up too much space (and to hide our numbers, much as the Tusken Raiders of Tatooine do), and we have to step into the road to get past any number of people coming toward us who apparently all need to gaggle about together like geese. At first we thought it was our fault. We're used to staying to the right, but in England they probably go to the left. Nope. The mindset on this tiny island seems to be that with space at a premium, I must take up as much as I can whenever I can.

And what's the deal with driving on the left side of the road? It's not any more practical. It's as if the English all decided, well, the Americans drive on the right, so we're going to drive on the left (I suspect the actually wanted to drive in the middle of the road, but someone must have been practical. Whoever it was, he and his descendents must have emigrated). Look, America invented the car. If you want to drive one, drive the way we do. I have the same question about their power outlets, which are too big and oddly shaped. America discovered electricity, so if anyone else wants to use it, they should darn well use it the way we do.

And a word or two on our flatmate. I think all I have said so far was that he is a nice guy. He still is. He is also the most disgusting clod on this island (which is saying something). He and his girlfriend (who is basically our fourth flatmate, although we don't know her name because nobody here speaks English) are proof against Darwinism (and while that should strengthen my faith, the fact that we have been forced to live with them actually makes me question it). In a naturalistic, survival of the fittest world, Christine and I would kill and eat them. They illustrate famously that book learning doesn't mean intelligence. Their one purpose in life seems to be to make this flat smell like arse. They begin in the kitchen, cooking elabrate and wonderful smelling meals, which they then devour in the living room. I use the word devour, because they sound exactly like the dinosaurs in Jurassic Park when they eat. Including the snorting. My brother, cousin, and best friend are notorious for their less than elegant table manners, and each one of them could give our flatmates lessons on table etiquette. Once they've demolished their meal, they leave their dishes lie wherever they slip out of their greasy fingers. Then they begin to strew their books, shopping bags, shoes, and papers all about the living room, where they will stay until we kick them into a corner. The next day, the pans which were used to make the delicious smelling meals lie on the counter still encrusted with food, where they will stay unless we ask them to wash them so that we may cook. If we don't ask, the dishes stay where they are, the kitchen and dining room smell foul, and they have accomplished half their life's purpose. At which point they move to his bedroom, which is next to ours, and proceed to chain smoke smoke Marlboros, filling the hall with the acrid smell of unwashed cowboy. The bathroom, thank God, never smells too badly. However, when our flatmate takes his bi-monthly bath, he throws the shower mat onto the floor after filling the tub with water and then gets out before drying off, and then wonders why the bathroom is damp. It all reminds me of the line from The Green Mile, "How many years you spend pissing on a toilet seat before someone told you to put it up?"

Say what you will about English food, at times breakfast baps, fish & chips, and bangers & mash are all that keep me from writing off this festering turd of an island. Well, that and Victorian horror fiction. And the people at the Raddy are nice. And the libraries, the libraries are good. Not to mention Blackwell's. And I do like the castles everywhere. And the year-round Cadbury Creme Eggs. And the crocuses and daffodils are blooming so everything is purple, yellow, and green. And everything here is within walking distance and the museums are free. Oh, who am I kidding? I love it here!

I just want to go home.

18 Comments:

  • At 3:05 pm, Blogger Judy said…

    Year 'round Cadbury Cream Eggs...

    I forget..WHY again did we want our independence from this island?

     
  • At 1:50 am, Blogger Chris said…

    Don't project your socially constructed table manners onto me.
    By the way, Kleyn is still trying to eat a Qdoba burrito faster than me, poor sap.

     
  • At 4:24 am, Blogger Unknown said…

    Socially constructed standards are nevertheless real. Kleyn, give it up. It's never gonna happen.

     
  • At 1:12 pm, Blogger Melodee said…

    My favorite line here: "In a naturalistic, survival of the fittest world, Christine and I would kill and eat them."

    Hilarious!

    It does sound like a great adventure.

    (and thanks for stopping by my blog)

     
  • At 1:48 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    you my dear brother, are quite an hilarious author. i wish i could read your postings all day long! and due to my renent ankle injury... I CAN! so anyway, i have my own blogspot now. it's evanishandsome.blogspot.com if you ever have time to waste, and i do mean WASTE you should check it out. bye the weigh, if you ever compare my eating habits to Fat Chris and Steve, i'm gonna kick you in the nuts! hahaha i love you!

     
  • At 4:28 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You should read Bill Bryson's Notes from a Small Island. He's from Iowa and he found England to be - interesting.

    Mick from Leeds

     
  • At 4:38 am, Blogger Unknown said…

    I have it. A good friend of ours gave it to us before we left, but we haven't had a chance to read much of it yet. What we were able to read was hilarious.

     
  • At 11:40 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    ya know buddy, we have year 'round cadburry cream eggs here too. or have you already forgotten about walgreens and their clearance bin! (who cares if the tinfoil is stuck to the chocolate and the creme has all leaked out?) USA USA USA USA...!

     
  • At 8:08 am, Blogger Unknown said…

    But there's nothing like a fresh Cadbury Creme Egg, where you can bite a small hole in the narrow end and suck out most of the Creme, mmmmmmmmmmmm!

     
  • At 4:49 am, Blogger Steve said…

    I stumbled on your blog by hitting "Next blog" for the nth? time and I found it entertaining. As a fellow American expatriate, I couldn't help but respond. I live in France, where I dare say things are a wee bit more different from America than they are in England. Let's say that from here, the US and the UK look like two relatively distant stars perceived as close to each other. From the vantage point of either of those stars, however, the other might actually look very distant.
    Anyway, the longer I live here the more my assumptions about America, the world, my knowledge of it, truth and other subjects I thought were rock-solid have proven to be just that, assumptions, a sort of collective received wisdom that was reinforced every time I interacted with someone else who had those same set of assumptions. Then I met "foreigners", on their own turf, and I realized not everyone shares them.
    Take the car, for example. "America" most certainly didn't "invent" it, not Henry Ford anyway, if he was the one you were thinking of. If you look into history, I think you'll find that some Germans with names like Daimler and Benz were probably the early pioneers - of which there were many - with the most plausible claim to the title of "inventor".
    America didn't "discover" electricity, either, Benjamin Franklin, his kite and key notwithstanding. There were already many European scientists working on electricity when Franklin began his experiments. Similarly, Thomas Edison didn't "invent" the movie camera, although he did invent "a" device. Among the many other pioneers in cinematography at the time were the Lumière brothers, who are generally credited with having created the first "film". (Sorry if I'm tearing down your childhood notions about America's supremacy in all fields, but it had to happen sooner or later!)
    Finally, about eating habits, once you speak to French people, you realize that we Americans have little to brag about. I've recently written a post about this, dated Feb. 13, that you can read on my blog. Bonne lecture!

     
  • At 8:07 am, Blogger Unknown said…

    Hey Steve, thanks for visiting.

    I've found recently that more people than my intended audience have stumbled upon my blog, which is fine. But I am mostly writing for friends and family who know me well and who know that I harbor few delusions about American supremacy. In fact, I have been very critical of America's arrogance in regard to other nations. So I wrote as I did knowing that my audience would understand it as hyperbole expressing how displaced and annoyed I felt by certain elements of a new culture. (I guess I'm having my theories about authorial intent challenged.) So your admonitions are appreciated, but as I already agree with you, unnecessary.

    As Bill Watterson so rightly remarked, some people take everything way too seriously.

    I don't think I've ever boasted about American food, but I will check out your blog nevertheless.

     
  • At 3:14 am, Blogger Steve said…

    Dear Buddy,

    Yes, I knew you were being at least somewhat sarcastic. Sorry for grinding my own ax in your semi-private space. Sometimes I feel there are things I just have to say (the French say, "C'est plus fort que moi") and hope someone will listen, especially when I see so much misunderstanding in the world. I hope your intended audience understands.

    Anyway, I'm sure I'm not as open-minded as I profess, either. When you do visit my blog, you'll undoubtedly be able to make some of the same types of comments!

    All the best, Steve

     
  • At 3:10 am, Blogger Neha said…

    hey ur blog is quite intersting...but one thing i din't understand is that u share ur falt wid someone else?
    i mean i m from india and this concept was , actually, beyond my comprehension.
    if ya got time to waste visit my blog, www.nehaphillips.blogspot.com

     
  • At 4:03 am, Blogger Unknown said…

    Steve,
    No problem, I appreciate your comments. I just fear that I come across as an ugly American to those who don't know where I'm coming from (and maybe to those who do). I have a few soapboxes myself, and I do hope that what you said helps someone.

    Neha,
    Yes we share our flat. It's just for while we're here and as soon as we're home, we will find a place to live just the two of us. Actually, we're living with Christine's parents for a while, but someday independence! Some of the people in the program here share a flat with several British and American students, so overall, I think our situation is better than that of many.

     
  • At 5:49 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Dear Buddy
    First I apologise for my daughter's table manners. Believe me, they exist in their awfulness despite years of nagging, yelling, and cajoling. In some ways I was punching the air when I read your comments, (maybe they will have more effect than I ever have). In others I was very sad that you seem to be having no communication with her. (By the way, despite having heard it many times, including from me on the telephone, you do not seem to have absorbed that her name is Siobhan, pronounced "Shevawn" an ancient Gaelic name). No, my daughter is not all book learning, she has a Mensa IQ of 178, Wisc 142. However like most gifted people she is a little dyspraxic and ADHD, (see Thom Hartmanns websites). So the deficits are in the practical areas. Although she is funny, witty, bright and insightful, she is also a very caring and sensitive girl, and unfortunately, by leaving this blog on the Favourites of the communal computor, it was inevitable that she stumble across it. You can guess the rest, hence her Mama rushing to her defence.
    Please be nice, Buddy. They are two kids with huge intellects but non-existant organisation skills trying to cope with the rigours of Oxford and caring for themselves for the first time.
    By the way, I do enjoy your writing. Frances

     
  • At 6:20 am, Blogger Unknown said…

    As I said above, more people are reading this than I thought. Again, that is fine, I just wish that those who were reading it and whom I see on a daily basis had mentioned it. Several people could have been spared much grief had that been the case.

    This post was to express to my readers my frustrations with several elements of being away from home, and so I only posted negative things. That does not mean that everything has been negative. In fact, Christine and I have often remarked that we have a much better living situation than many others in our program. I also exaggerated much for comedic effect, and so I tried to ensure that nothing I wrote could be traced to the people I was writing about. I didn't mean to hurt feelings, and so I protected anonymity.

    Much of the frustration has been living with people who seem to have much in common with us, but with whom we have little relationship other than stepping around messes. Maybe there's a cultural barrier we haven't learned how to cross.

    As I said, I never meant to hurt feelings, simply to convey, humorously and half-seriously, our frustrations to family and friends. I don't believe I saved the blog on Favorites, but no doubt it would have shown up on our internet history. Again, had I known that my actual audience differed from my intended audience, I would have been sensitive to that audience.

    Thank you for responding. A little understanding can go a long way.

     
  • At 7:37 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Last paragraph: My point entirely. Enjoy Cambridge.

     
  • At 1:06 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Americans invented the car, did they? I know some German folk who have a bone to pick with you.

    And we chose to drive on the left just to spite America? We invented driving on the left back when it was horses not cars and before anyone had ever set foot on Plymouth Rock.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home