My Room

"Everyone carries a room about inside them. This fact can even be proved by means of the sense of hearing. If someone walks fast and one pricks up one's ears and listens, say at night, when everything round about is quiet, one hears, for instance, the rattling of a mirror not quite firmly fastened to the wall." -Franz Kafka

Sunday, January 23, 2005

Warwick Castle

Today we visited Warwick Castle, Britain's Greatest Mediaeval Experience. We awoke at 8:30, had our usual vegetarian breakfast baps at Meltz to Go, and were on the road by 10:30. We brought reading material, but the painfully dull conversations of college sophomores were too much of a distraction. Christine found solace in slumber; I couldn't sleep and endured the banality, slowly losing all faith in the future generation.

Once, we arrived, thing really picked up. The castle is beautiful, as you can see from the pictures. As part of the exhibit, wax works of a mediaeval war party and a 19th century dinner party are on display in several parts of the castle. We went to the haunted section as per Denver's suggestion, but there must have been more going on when he was there, because it was rather dull. Atmospheric, yes, and, as the rest of the castle, beautiful, but not frightening.

We visited several towers and the giftshop and then accepted the challenge of the Caesar tower. To get up and down, you must use the spiral staircases, which are in a cylendrical column with no light and no break between the top and the bottom. I'm not usually claustrophobic, but this was hard. Dad, you wouldn't be able to handle it. The trek was worthwhile, though, since the view from the top was breathtaking.

After touring the castle, we wandered into the town of Warwickshire and had our first cream tea, which was recommended to us by Dorothe Bonzo. A cream tea is tea with sugar and cream served with a scone. You cut the scone in half, butter it, spread strawberry jam on it, and then spread on what's called "clotted cream," which, unappetizing as the word sounds, is very good. It's similar to whipped cream, but not whipped. While in all a cream tea is incredibly unhealthy, it is delicious, and since we've been walking everywhere, we can binge a little.

In other news, I had my first tutorial on Friday. It was a very humbling experience. It was a very positive experience, but when I talk to people about horror fiction, I'm used to knowing as much as if not more than those I talk to. One on one with an Oxford don with a doctorate in Victorian Gothic fiction, I felt like I knew nothing. he is very helpful, though, and I look forward to learning from him. My first essay for my Greek Tragedy tutorial, on Sophocles's Ajax and Electra, is due Wednesday.

Please leave a comment or drop us an e-mail. We thrive on communication with home.

17 Comments:

  • At 8:10 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i'm glad you 2 are having a good time... and buddy i'm glad you met someone who makes you feel like you know nothing. now you know how the rest of us feel. i love you both
    brother evan

     
  • At 7:56 am, Blogger Michael Van Dyke said…

    Great photos. I especially liked the swans. And I have to comment on the composition. Most of them look passably professional, although it might be the case that England always presents itself as perfectly composed?

     
  • At 2:06 pm, Blogger Unknown said…

    bap
    noun [C] UK
    a round soft form of bread which is usually smaller than a loaf:
    a soft white bap

    A breakfast bap is a bap with egg, cheese, tomatoes, and mushrooms served with a side of baked beans and coffee. I could eat it for every meal of every day for the rest of my life.

     
  • At 6:53 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    so what are you reading for victorian gothic?
    -eva

     
  • At 6:03 am, Blogger Unknown said…

    Last week I read The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson. This week I'm reading Oscar Wilde's Picture of Dorian Gray. I'm also looking at newspaper reports of the Jack the Ripper murders which were going on around the same time. For my essay, I'll be exploring how Jekyll and Hyde influenced both the newspapers and Dorian Gray.

    We take the reading lists a week at a time, but in the future I will probably look at HG Wells' Time Machine and Island of Dr. Moreau and of course Bram Stoker's Dracula. I may also get into some of the more obscure stuff that didn't get published in the US (I don't know what that is yet).

    I'll keep you posted.

     
  • At 2:57 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sounds like alot of fun, especially reading old newspapers about jack the ripper. exciting! i've read and liked both 'picture of dorian grey' and 'dracula', but none of the others. So are you looking at only gothic lit written in the Victorian period or are you going to look at any the gothic stuff written just prior? Just wondering because there was alot of good stuff written in the late 1700's.
    Eva

     
  • At 4:25 pm, Blogger Unknown said…

    Yeah, the Ripper stuff is interesting. I'm also reading another newspaper report called Maiden Tribute to Modern Babylon about child prostitution in London in the 1880s. It's so depressing.

    For this tutorial, I'm only looking at the Victorian era, but I agree, the 1700s has some great stuff. I've read Horace Walpole's Castle of Otranto and some of Anne Radcliffe's stuff. I also want to check out Matthew Lewis's The Monk.

    Let me know if you have any recommendations.

     
  • At 11:53 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I liked Castle of Otranto, haven't read The Monk. Another one I liked quite a bit was William Beckford's Vathek. I also like Henry James' stuff, which you are probably familiar with. One I might not recommend is Jane Austen's Northanger Abbey- though often considered an important gothic novel, I personally find it her least compelling work.
    Eva

     
  • At 3:48 am, Blogger Unknown said…

    Blackwell's has a book called Four Gothic Novels that has Otranto, Vathek, The Monk, and Frankenstein. I hadn't heard of Vathek, so I didn't get it, but now I may have to pick it up.

    I've read Turn of the Screw and enjoyed that. Apparently James and Stevenson corresponded a lot and both feature similar features, including sometimes unreliable narrators, which is a concept I find fascinating.

    I've heard that Northanger Abbey is a parody of Anne Radcliffe, so it's not Austen's usual style. I think you might enjoy Radcliffe. Her most popular is Mysteries of Udolpho, which I haven't made it through yet, so I can't give an official recommendation.

     
  • At 8:17 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I feel like I we may have covered Anne Radcliffe in one of my lit classes at northwestern, but I don't remember what we read, so it was probably just a quick survey. I will have to put her on my ever growing list of people to read.
    Eva

     
  • At 9:36 am, Blogger Unknown said…

    I bought that Four Gothic Novels book. It's very cool and was only £7 (I realize that's nearly $14, but I'm trying not to think about that).

    By the way, I had a vegetarian roast for lunch, but I didn't eat breakfast. In case your interested.
    = )

     
  • At 9:37 am, Blogger Unknown said…

    You're, that is.
    (How embarrassing)

     
  • At 7:16 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    thanks for keeping me posted on the food- as you know, it's the one highlight of my day...
    oh and thanks for making me feel paranoid about my own poor gramatical skills...i almost feel the need to go back and capitalize where necessary, but i shall resist. i am choosing to rebel against capitalization.
    :)
    eva

     
  • At 4:59 am, Blogger Unknown said…

    Way to fight the power.

    In my Advanced Grammar class, some friends and I decided to become grammatical Marxists and overcome word classes. Rebelling against capitalization seems like it would fit right in. Thanks for joining the fight, comrade.

     
  • At 5:36 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    what a crock! Buddy is a grammatical tyrant! you fight him eva!
    Christine
    (your *real* comrade in this rebellion)

     
  • At 5:52 am, Blogger Unknown said…

    All speakers of English are equal, but some are more equal.

     
  • At 11:30 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    well as long as i call it my own "artistic style" i can do whatever i want and no one can question it right? if e.e. cummings can get away with it, so can i.......so there.
    eva

     

Post a Comment

<< Home